Coach Jeff Finally #Barefoot #Running Again!

barefootsnow2

After just over 5 weeks post-hernia surgery, I ventured out for my 1st ‘official’ run…barefoot! As you know, I have been barefoot walking for a few weeks and even did a few kilometres barefoot running 2 1/2 weeks post-surgery with my teen marathoner, Jill, at the Road to Hope race in Hamilton (not the most intelligent thing I’ve done in my life). I survived that ‘too early’ jaunt but did basically follow my surgeon’s advice re: “no running” for 5 to 6 weeks and “no weight lifting” for another 8 to 10 weeks. My guess is the weight lifting ban will be reduced by at LEAST a few weeks!

Even though I feel great physically as this applies to the incision and repair area, I knew this morning’s run would NOT be pretty fitness-wise. Indeed, I was correct! I started out with my Southdown Strider running buddies at 7:00 a.m. in -8C temps and a strong, cold north-west wind. Making the mistake of holding pace with them, I was pulling WAY back by the 3 kilometre mark. My feet adapted quickly (this surprised me somewhat as my barefoot exposure to our winter weather has been minimal thus far) to the partially snow-covered roads. Through the bush trail, the path was 90% packed snow-covered – I ran easily along this section – with the remaining 10% boardwalk and gravel – not as easy to run along! Exiting the bush, I ran along the Lake Ontario shoreline directly into the water – rather cold, to say the least BUT not bone-chilling. I finished with a slow but steady hill climb backwards (WOW – am I ever out of shape for THAT type of running!) and a flat stretch along salt crystal – covered sidewalks (ouch!).

Upon finishing my 70 minute ‘outing’, I was aware of how gradual my comeback to full barefoot running pace will be this winter. I do realize, however,  just how fortunate I am to be ABLE to barefoot run at all when so many of my colleagues and others cannot do so! This is a blessing God has given me – I will NEVER take it for granted.

Here’s to building slowly. Here’s to strengthening my feet even more this winter. Here’s to another year of injury-free barefoot running. Here’s to the naysayers of barefoot running finally waking up, getting out of the ‘coffins’ (running shoes) and leaving we barefoot runners the hell alone!!

coach Jeff

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s