In this blog, I will present the final of 3 explosive power circuits (performed barefoot) that my runners do to improve fatigue tolerance and total body bracing for safer, more efficient barefoot running.
- a range of free weight dumbbells
- a bosu ball
- a stability ball
Each exercise in the circuit should be done for 30 seconds consecutively with no rest. Progress gradually to 60 seconds per exercise 1 to 2 times per week until you can do 3 full circuits. Then, go into maintenance mode BUT look to improve technique and exercise pace over a number of weeks.
- Dumbbells held to chest squat jumps (with feet held together) on & off the rounded side of Bosu Ball
- Double forward and backward leg drive from push-up position on Stability Ball
- Alternate 1-legged squat hops with overhead side lateral raise holding dumbbells on flat side of Bosu Ball
- Push-off Tricep Dips in Supine position on rounded side of Bosu Ball
This is once again a step up in degree of difficulty from Part 2 – thus, once again, progress slowly, making sure you are locked in technically. Again once again, after a few months, you will improve even more in your ability to handle longer, faster runs – barefoot – with less fatigue and NO injuries.
My next blog will not appear until after August 17, 2013 – the coach is taking a long overdue break at the cottage! 🙂
For personal one-on-one or group training sessions or customized training and transitioning plans for barefoot or minimalist runners contact Coach Jeff at email@example.com