To improve balance and overall strength endurance in my Team Over The Top runners, I have developed a series of circuits that incorporate the following equipment:
- Bosu Ball
- Stability Ball
- Dumbbells (5, 10 or 15 pounders)
- Exercise mats
Each exercise is done for up to 60 seconds consecutively with virtually no rest. This builds fatigue tolerance – so critically important for #barefoot #runners to avoid dropping the feet too hard onto the running surface. Injury prevention is the main benefit along with a more efficient running technique in the #squat-scoot manner. The balance work incorporated into the circuit keeps my runners centered over their feet, lighter and more compact – all important for safe, efficient barefoot running.
A sample circuit that you can incorporate into your weekly training is as follows:
- 1-legged overhead lateral raises (on the flat part of the Bosu Ball) with dumbbells
- 1-legged hamstring curls (on the Stability Ball and mat)
- 2-legged LOW squat flyes (on the flat part of the Bosu Ball) with dumbbells
- 1-legged supine bridge on Stability Ball)
- 1-legged bent over pull-ups (on rounded part of Bosu Ball) with dumbbells
- supine hip extensions (holding Stability Ball straight up over the chest) on mat
- 1-legged forward 3 angled raise (on flat part of the Bosu Ball) with dumbbells
After 6 to 8 weeks, my runners have improved dramatically in their ability to run barefoot faster, safer and farther than ever before.
Join the club!!
For personal one-on-one or group training sessions or customized training and transitioning plans for barefoot or minimalist runners contact Coach Jeff at email@example.com