As most of us have grown up wearing ‘coffins’ (see earlier blog) on our feet, it is no wonder that we have ‘flat feet’, ‘itis’ issues, sore backs, hips, knees etc.
It’s especially disconcerting to me when I see our youth hobbling & struggling with foot-related soreness/injury. There is simply no reason for this. If you fall into the above category, put in place the following circuit DAILY for 15 minutes:
* double leg hops on the spot (land on the SAME spot). Try to work up to 1 minute
* 1-legged hops on the spot as above
* box double leg hops (the box should be only 3 to 4 cms. square)
* box 1-legged hops as above
* step-ups on 1 stair – alternate lead legs
* 1-legged hop-downs from 1 stair (make sure to tighten your core & flex @ the knee upon landing (cushion!)
* stationary running with knees up to hip height & landing on the same spot each time
Make sure you land on your mid-foot during the drill. Do these barefoot on a somewhat soft surface (carpet or mat) to start. As your feet (& arches) get stronger, you will be able to do these on any surface. You will notice that your arches will become more pronounced, the neuro-muscular stimulus in your feet will activate, your calves will strengthen, your balance will improve, your Achilles Tendons will not ache etc…This is a process that requires regular commitment & focused effort. Here’s to your ‘new’ arches!!
JOIN COACH JEFF for an upcoming clinic and enjoy #InjuryFreeRunning!